Thursday, June 2, 2011

Humane Treatment Award

               Thank you, oh thank you so much for the Humane Treatment award. Over the years I have come to realize that animals are just as important as humans. Ever since I was young I always lived with dogs, cats and just about every farm animal you could think of.  Growing up in a house of five helps with learning responsibility and teaches hard work. As of course I was the youngest of four boys and the only girl too. My brothers and I raised the animals, though I had more interest in taking care and treating them than they did.   Animals are similar to friends; always there to talk to and listen to anything you have to say.
                 As I became a teenager, my understanding of animals became more important after researching animal cruelty for a science project. I knew it was my job to do something about the issue.  Of course one teenage girl couldn’t change the world, so as a result, I created an organization called “Against Animal Cruelty”. I only started with my two good friends, then it multiplied and before you know it, by high school there were over thirty students in the organization (A.A.C.). The word spread about the club and already it was too much for me to handle so I decided to set it aside and focus on being accepted to college.
                 Animals were still part of my everyday life; I just wasn’t able to volunteer as much as I wished.  Meanwhile school was becoming a huge factor to my future; I had to put my dreams on hold.  With all my hard work, I was honored a full-ride scholarship to Norte Dame. From then on, I found my career in the education branch.  I became a sixth grade teacher and I couldn’t have made a better decision.  I learned through my students about what really matters in life, especially been given the privilege to teach Panchito english, he didn’t know a word so it was a tough start.  He was a Mexican boy and a  Bracero, I knew he was going to have to work again so I did my best do give him the finest education he will ever have. The feeling of helping someone or an animal is one of the greatest experiences among us.  I am glad to have be a volunteer to our local Humane society, and I am honored to be given this award and for all of you out there always follow your dreams no matter how big or how small.
               

No comments:

Post a Comment